If Rochester isn’t on your list of upcoming travel destinations, it’s time to make some room on your itinerary. (We are listed among the best places to travel in 2023 by INSIDER, after all!)
Rochester, and all the people, places and events that make it great, is ready for your visit in 2023. We consider ourselves: a food-lover’s paradise, offering tastes of every flavor throughout the city; the king of festivals; a hub of historical sites and destinations; and the getaway spot you didn’t know you needed.
And while the city has already been buzzworthy for major events like the upcoming 2024 total solar eclipse, Rochester will only get more love in the new year. Many annual events will be returning in 2023, and there are also new attractions and restaurants joining the ranks of Rochester’s list of places to go.
- 2023 PGA Championship. In May 2023, Rochester’s prestigious Oak Hill Country Club will play host to the 2023 PGA Championship, marking the fourth time the PGA’s premier event will be held in Rochester at Oak Hill. The greatest golfers will descend on Rochester May 18-21, 2023. More info: https://www.pgachampionship.com/
- Opening of Expansion at The Strong Museum of Play. The top children’s museum in the country happens to find its home in Rochester, NY. The Strong National Museum of Play is the only museum in the world dedicated to the exploration and discovery of play. And beginning in 2023, The Strong will have even more to offer visitors with the completion of a transformative expansion. The heart of the all-new Neighborhood of Play will be The Strong’s 90,000-square-foot expansion which will house state-of-the-art guest amenities and a 24,000-square-foot interactive gallery.
- Neighborhood of Play. In the shadow of The Strong Museum, a new neighborhood, the Neighborhood of Play, has been built up in the footprint of the former Inner Loop. The new neighborhood offerings include housing, commercial space, planned retail – including a new brewery, a gaming themed restaurant, new hotel and more. Also just steps away from The Strong, visitors will find the newly opened Tasting Room for Strangebird Brewing, which was recently named the 2022 Brewery of the Year in New York State Craft Beer Competition.
- Black Button Distilling Expansion and New Distillery. Rochester’s Black Button Distilling was the first distillery to open in the area since prohibition, when it first opened in 2012. Now ten years in business, Black Button recently announced plans to expand its production space and tasting room to University Avenue in Rochester’s Neighborhood of the Arts. The new facility, which will renovate a historic building (built before World War I) into a 28,000 sq. foot distillery. Black Button will move to its new location in summer 2023.
- Expansion of Rohrbach Brewing on Railroad Street. As Black Button Distilling prepares to move from its current home near Rochester’s Public Market to its new space, the move presents an opportunity for Black Button’s current neighbor, Rohrbach Brewing Company to expand its existing space. Rohrbach is Rochester’s first craft brewery, serving craft brews since its opening in 1991. The expansion will allow for more production space for the pioneer in the Rochester’s growing beer scene, as well as event space and more seating for guests in its Railroad Street Beer Hall, adjacent to the Rochester Public Market – one of the oldest and largest markets in the country.
- Development alongside the Erie Canal in Fairport NY + Empire State Trail. The Empire State Trail connects New York State, from Buffalo to NYC. In the Rochester area, the trail is comprised of the Erie Canalway Trail. The Rochester area is home to several canal side communities, including the picturesque village of Fairport. In Fairport, visitors will discover a new entertainment district known as The Cannery, which was once the home of the American Can Co. The 62,000 sq. foot structure was originally constructed in 1908, and today is home to two breweries, a distillery and several different restaurants.