Romantic Inn / B&B & Couples Getaway in Rochester
Kiss & Tell
Why 2023 Is The Year to Visit Rochester
If Rochester isn’t on your list of upcoming travel destinations, it’s time to make some room on your itinerary. (We are listed among the best places to travel in 2023 by INSIDER, after all!)
Rochester, and all the people, places and events that make it great, is ready for your visit in 2023. We consider ourselves: a food-lover’s paradise, offering tastes of every flavor throughout the city; the king of festivals; a hub of historical sites and destinations; and the getaway spot you didn’t know you needed.
And while the city has already been buzzworthy for major events like the upcoming 2024 total solar eclipse, Rochester will only get more love in the new year. Many annual events will be returning in 2023, and there are also new attractions and restaurants joining the ranks of Rochester’s list of places to go.
WHAT’S NEW IN ROCHESTER IN 2023
- 2023 PGA Championship. In May 2023, Rochester’s prestigious Oak Hill Country Club will play host to the 2023 PGA Championship, marking the fourth time the PGA’s premier event will be held in Rochester at Oak Hill. The greatest golfers will descend on Rochester May 18-21, 2023. More info: https://www.pgachampionship.com/
- Opening of Expansion at The Strong Museum of Play. The top children’s museum in the country happens to find its home in Rochester, NY. The Strong National Museum of Play is the only museum in the world dedicated to the exploration and discovery of play. And beginning in 2023, The Strong will have even more to offer visitors with the completion of a transformative expansion. The heart of the all-new Neighborhood of Play will be The Strong’s 90,000-square-foot expansion which will house state-of-the-art guest amenities and a 24,000-square-foot interactive gallery.
- Neighborhood of Play. In the shadow of The Strong Museum, a new neighborhood, the Neighborhood of Play, has been built up in the footprint of the former Inner Loop. The new neighborhood offerings include housing, commercial space, planned retail – including a new brewery, a gaming themed restaurant, new hotel and more. Also just steps away from The Strong, visitors will find the newly opened Tasting Room for Strangebird Brewing, which was recently named the 2022 Brewery of the Year in New York State Craft Beer Competition.
- Black Button Distilling Expansion and New Distillery. Rochester’s Black Button Distilling was the first distillery to open in the area since prohibition, when it first opened in 2012. Now ten years in business, Black Button recently announced plans to expand its production space and tasting room to University Avenue in Rochester’s Neighborhood of the Arts. The new facility, which will renovate a historic building (built before World War I) into a 28,000 sq. foot distillery. Black Button will move to its new location in summer 2023.
- Expansion of Rohrbach Brewing on Railroad Street. As Black Button Distilling prepares to move from its current home near Rochester’s Public Market to its new space, the move presents an opportunity for Black Button’s current neighbor, Rohrbach Brewing Company to expand its existing space. Rohrbach is Rochester’s first craft brewery, serving craft brews since its opening in 1991. The expansion will allow for more production space for the pioneer in the Rochester’s growing beer scene, as well as event space and more seating for guests in its Railroad Street Beer Hall, adjacent to the Rochester Public Market – one of the oldest and largest markets in the country.
- Development alongside the Erie Canal in Fairport NY + Empire State Trail. The Empire State Trail connects New York State, from Buffalo to NYC. In the Rochester area, the trail is comprised of the Erie Canalway Trail. The Rochester area is home to several canal side communities, including the picturesque village of Fairport. In Fairport, visitors will discover a new entertainment district known as The Cannery, which was once the home of the American Can Co. The 62,000 sq. foot structure was originally constructed in 1908, and today is home to two breweries, a distillery and several different restaurants.
What’s not to love!
FALLING “INN” LOVE: ONE VERY ROMANTIC B&B FOR VALENTINE’S DAY
You have a few days until Valentine’s Day. Don’t be that guy (or girl) who waits until the last minute and then rushes out to buy a half-wilted roses and a box of generic chocolates. Instead, surprise the love of your life with one of the most romantic gift possible—an Ellwanger Estate Bed & Breakfast getaway in Rochester, NY.
The Ellwanger Estate B&B knows how to celebrate romance! We are the proud recipients of the I Love Inns and American Historic Inns “Top 10 Most Romantic Inns of North America” award, and featured in the Getaway Mavens 32 Great Romantic Hotels in New York State, Travel and Leisure, Rochester Magazine, INNS Magazine, and Design Sponge: Rochester, NY city guide.
With ANY February stay, the mansion will be decked out in red roses galore, with half a dozen in your guest room, and a heart shaped chocolate cake for your 4th course during your gourmet breakfast.
Here’s a thought to share by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:
I love you not only for what you are,
but for what I am when I am with you.
I love you not only for what you have made of yourself,
but for what you are making of me.
I love you for the part of me that you bring out.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Rosemary’s Favorite Things 2022
- Hands down ~it’s you, my guests. Each of you grace the Ellwanger with your energy and positive vibes. You are a blessing. The evidence is in the warm and welcoming Google and Tripadvisor Reviews, and our returning guests.
- Social Responsibilities: Memorial Art Gallery, B&B for Vets, David’s Refuge
- Surprize Vacations with Pack Up + Go. A Fun and fabulous treat, especially when you vacation at the Ellwanger.
- Four course breakfast. Where Else?!
- Jazz Jamming: From April to December, on the first Saturday of each month, our guests are entertained with spectacular live music. Think value added, think gift certificates.
- “Deb Delights” apple-pear butter on the breakfast table. I went for the beets, but stayed for the apple-pear butter!
- Amenities galore: From luxurious Italian cotton linens, makeup remover cloths, house slippers, robes, and full toiletries. Here are my 4 favs:
- Greenwich Bay Trading Co. shampoo (Rosemary, Cedar & Thyme), conditioner, and hand lotion
- Ellwanger Laundry Bags, fashioned after the Grandhotel Pupp’s gift bag in Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic
- PranaSleep organic mattresses
- Pillow menu. In an effort to enhance your sleep, lighten your suitcase, and try out new pillows~ the Ellwanger offers hypoallergenic, down, latex and wool pillows
- Ellwanger Garden, owned and operated by the Landmark Society of WNY, is a nature oasis in the middle of the city, a.k.a. Our very own Secret Garden! Think YOGA, Thai Chi, meditation, and Plein Air Painting.
- Original artwork from artist all over the world, including my original pieces as well as … “The Ellwanger Coasters”.
- Refreshment hour (new 1/2/23) Monday-Thursday 5-6PM
Ellwanger Estate Participates in B&B’s for Vets
The Ellwanger Estate B&B of Rochester, NY recently announced their participation in B&B’s for Vets, a national program offering complimentary overnight stays for veterans and active military. The B&B’s for Vets program, hosted by the Association of Lodging Professionals, is designed to thank our nation’s veterans and active military for their service by providing them with the unique experience of staying at independent lodging properties like Bed and Breakfasts. The B&B’s for Vets program was started by Kathleen Panek, a West Virginia innkeeper, in 2008 and thousands of veterans and active military have been hosted over the years.
Today is the Day to Remember our Veterans…when we as a country formally honor the service and sacrifice of our former and current U.S. military members as well as their families – whose unique support is sacrificial and inspiring. I also want to take this opportunity to recognize and thank our B&B guests who currently serve or have previously served. We are proud to now serve you and honored to have you as part of our Ellwanger B&B family on this day and everyday.
Complimentary overnight stays are available at volunteer host Bed & Breakfast across the USA. Offer details are listed by region on BandBsforVets.org. This year filled the day I posted with B&B for Vets! Please visit this website next year for a repeat offering at the Ellwanger Estate B&B.
Hospitality Intern never tires of Ellwanger Elopements and Rochester seed swap
As Kojo prepares to graduate from Monroe Community College hospitality program, he applauded the Rochester seeds swap and the personalized Ellwanger elopements. During his short time at the Ellwanger Estate Bed and Breakfast, he has learned everything from culinary skills, preparation, serving, bed making 101, silver polishing, planting a garden, button sewing, furniture restoration, and attending Visit Rochester meetings. His highlight was meeting Mayor Evans. And what a highlight indeed-as he praised Kojo’s perseverance, quoting, “ now you can take over” the running of the bed and breakfast. While the internship is geared towards preparing interns for hospitality management, the true test is in finding a balance and excelling in customer service. So what 17 hours of the day would you like to work? He is sure up for the task!