Romantic Inn / B&B & Couples Getaway in Rochester
Kiss & Tell
|This was first published in my newsletter on April 20, 2020|
Meet the 7 dwarfs that are ” Staying INN at the ELL”
Grumpy, Sweaty, Bloaty, Sleepy, Hopeful, Forgetful, and Psycho
Grumpy: “Ya crazy fool! Fine time ya picked to sneeze!”
While NY is “On Pause”, the Ellwanger Estate is on “Many Pause“.
“Many Pause“ at the Ellwanger Estate has given us an opportunity to shore up our health for the future,
and explore real opportunities for enhancement. For more opportunities at the Ellwanger Estate…read on.
While we continue to monitor the coronavirus updates in our community, we have taken this opportunity to rethink, rewire, and rebalance a selection of non-intrusive and innovative guest experiences. There is an overwhelming need for discretion, privacy, and distancing, all in the pursuit of a calming and relaxing experience. Within a city environment we provide an oasis from hustle and bustle. There are many ingredients we need to have just right to enable our guests to relax – from the room layout and noise isolation and healthy dining options to non-intrusive, seamless services.
Here are just a few:
Breakfast is now offered either in the Dining room, Veranda, or in-room service. Dining tables are set for individual guest rooms.
Cookies and snacks are now served on individual plates prepared in the kitchen – no communal plates or containers.
Al fresco dining will be offered for lunch and dinner.
The mansion will be a sanctuary for registered guests only. The maximum number of registered guest will be 10 total, within 7,000 sq ft mansion/veranda/patio/Rec Room/garden/lawn, and 3 beautiful idyllic acres to walk and enjoy. Any reunion with invited friends or family members will be offered in the garden, or on veranda.
To reduce your exposure to others during your visit, room service will now be upon request.
Our meticulous standards continue: Before each guest arrives, rooms are cleaned and disinfected. I use effective cleaning solutions and wipe down all surfaces throughout the mansion. Think OCD.
Breakfast is prepared by me, and I am a licensed food handler.
I use gloves as necessary while preparing food. All plates, silverware, cooking utensils are washed in a commercial sanitizing dishwasher.
Linens are washed and sanitized. Each room has a private bathroom. Room doors and windows are open for fresh air circulation while cleaning.
~Think Safety ~Think Best Practice~Think Gift Certificates~
We all have different priorities now, but I challenge you to keep your eyes on sustainability this 50th Earth Day (April 22) and every day–even as you fight your way through the current crisis.
Thank you ALL for your many thoughtful emails, text, calls and instagram likes, posts and comments.Please feel free to share this newsletter with a friend or family member
Looking forward to seeing you soon!
As the old saying goes, “We live in interesting times.”
For the first time in its thirty-eight year history, The WEDGE Newspaper April/May issue can be read online only. With so many Rochester and suburban restaurants and shops, libraries and colleges closed–our usual drop off spots—we decided against a print issue this time around.
Please DO take just a few minutes to read the WEDGE Newspaper April/May
The paper is as packed as ever with entertaining stories about our community–
The South Wedge Farmers Market moves to a new space in June! Rochester City Council member Mary Lupien makes city proceedings more transparent while David H. Day describes his experience “Kondo-ing” his house. Michele Martell rhapsodizes about the beauty of trees, and Patti Giglio tells the story of the “Lost Souls of Highland Park.”
You can read about Ellwanger Estate B&B: Ellwanger Estate B&B Offers an Island of Wellness on page 6,(and book a future date). Read about local activist Jayne Morgan, this year’s David Halter Community Champion award winner, and Bob Palmer’s a Swillburg family. And there’s still more.
Pages 8-9 provide a valuable list of the many community neighborhood resources available during the pandemic.
Please help us to promote our stories and advertisers far and wide. We are posting this message and link on the South Wedge Farmers Market and the South Wedge Planning Committee (SWPC)pages, and each of the board members and friends of the WEDGE will be sharing the links. We’re confident the readership will exceed the 5000+ issues we print every other month. So, go to www.swpc.org and scroll down a tiny bit and click on the large WEDGE Newspaper button. Like us too on Facebook.
We send our warmest thoughts to the community. Stay safe; stay in. Good weather and good times are somewhere on the horizon. Sending rays of Hope and Joy on this Easter Sunday.
During these uncertain and unprecedented times, like many of you, we’re asking ourselves “What can we do?” First, we can practice safe measures for ourselves, our families and our communities. Secondly, we can be grateful. Grateful for the brave first responders, doctors, nurses, delivery people, food workers, truckers and all essential workers who are the warriors on the front lines, our Heroes, literally risking their lives to combat this war.
It’s time to express gratitude for what we have and continue to hold. At the Ellwanger Estate, we’re grateful for our guests, family and friends who have helped us grow for the last 11 years. Here’s our news from home:
- We were, and still are, planning a renovation to the potting shed, AKA:The REC Room, located on the hill directly behind the B&B. This is something that keeps us looking forward to our completion date of April 22, Earth Day. We’ll keep you updated on that.
- As we work from home, we’re excited to announce that very soon we will be planting a Victory Garden. Right now most of our seeds are sprouting in the green house. Look on Facebook and Instagram for announcements on “Sprouting at the Ell”. More on our new plans shortly.
- Right now, we’re all learning a new meaning about the comforts of home. So we’ve been virtual lunching and learning, completing projects, training our Hospitality Intern remotely, preparing and delivery meals to at risk individuals, saved an elopement (for 2) from a City Hall cancellation, and sheltered a father/son (think whole mansion to themselves) while transitioning for a move across country.
- As for reopening the B&B, right now we’re scheduling for May Day, May 1st and beyond, depending on the situation and government guidelines.
- We’re adding a higher level of care, professional cleaning, and updates throughout the B&B.
- We are offering gift certificates online as one way to support our guests who wish to cancel.
It’s been rewarding to step back and think more deeply about our wonderful business. These are some of the thoughts we’ve had and our dreams for the future. We send you our sincere wishes for peace, good health, and safety, and I thank you for your continuing support.
Stay safe and please keep in touch.
Feeling the need to recover from, well…whatever?
In light of the Coronavirus, wellness has become so top of mind. And this is especially true for the traveler: where small, bright, and beautiful matter. Small number of rooms (5), brightly lit, sparkling clean and disinfected daily (think OCD), and beautifully maintained indoor and outdoor spaces.
As the owner of the Ellwanger Estate B&B, as well as a nurse, midwife, preservationist, farmer, and environmentalist, we are paying much more attention to wellness as a lifestyle.
So, WELCOME to the Ellwanger Estate B&B where mindful wellness and cultural tourism come together for “Welltality”.
Here is a list of OUR most sought-after welltality features to include: food, health and happiness, signature experiences, sustainability, and architectural and extreme wellness.
Food for Body, Mind and Soul
- Delectable breakfast dining experience, offering a balanced diet, high in plant based food selections.
- Farm-to-table dining, showcasing the bounty’s of our gardens, bakery, and chicken coop (“the Grand Hotel Coop”) in a multi-course breakfast.
- Offering light cuisine, with items low in salt and sugar, or smaller portions.
- Emphasizing what’s in season.
Healthy & Happy Retreat:Experience something that will have positive physical and psychological impact.
- We suggest morning hikes, yoga and meditation.
- OR, Are you ready for a retreat from technology? Regaining personal connections? This is for our guests who are seeking a real getaway from it all. You must admit, todays small portable electronics glued to our eyes and ears for hours on end can create a lot of stress. There is always the old fashioned land line open for emergency communication. We can help you turn off the Wi-Fi, no phones, tablets, etc. allowed. We will lock them up in a safe!
- Let’s Get Physical with a combination of activity and nature. Complimentary walking, jogging and hiking maps, some showcasing Rochester’s best-loved landmarks.
- Yoga mats, rolls, and weights are available.
- Sports and fitness classes offered at LA Fitness Signature Club. Guest passes are available.
- Offering massage spa treatments, quiet room for meditation, and green spaces.
- Bathrooms with relaxing lux accessories & products.
- You may also add a mini bar of wellness products which include sleep mask, relaxing pillow mist, anti-aging pillow case, foot cream and cozy spa socks, hydrating facial sheet mask and other goodies that just transformed your room into wellness rooms.
- PRANA mattresses.
- Staff tailor-made teas for our guest’s wellness needs.
- “Gallery and Galore” ticket to the Memorial Art Gallery.
- Being mindful of using local products. Food especially.
- Just before winter appears, we stock our root cellar to carry us through until Spring.
- Our Heirloom Garden will honor all things green and organic, for your culinary pleasure.
- TESLA recharging station.
Architectural Wellness: Incorporates environmental beauty, providing spaces that are physically beautiful but also comfortable, functional and sustainable.
- In room air purifiers and allergy-friendly rooms.
- Hardwood floors.
- Live house plants.
- Soft color palettes.
- Eco-friendly cleaning products with the most stringent disinfecting protocols.
- The Veranda is our outdoor room, with an expansive deck with a lush garden/woodland view.
- And beyond the porch…enjoy a fire-pit, great landscaping with outdoor lighting.
- Winding paths to secluded spots with seating.
- The Rec Room, located in our historical potting shed, provides Ping-Pong, exercise equipment, and a lounge. What a serene retreat! Join us on National Arbor Day, April 23, and be apart of our grand opening and tree planting ceremony!
“Salt therapy is a natural therapy that has been practiced since the 18th century. It involves inhaling dry salt, which can help cleanse both the airways and the skin to relieve congestion, inflammation and skin irritations. In a salt rooms or salt cave a halogenerator grind up pharmaceutical grade salt into minute particles that become airborne when dispersed into the room.”
In all your travels, I wish you “Welltality”! ~Rosemary
You have one day until Valentine’s Day. Don’t be that guy (or girl) who waits until the last minute and then rushes out to buy a half-wilted roses and a box of generic chocolates. Instead, surprise the love of your life with one of the most romantic gift possible—an Ellwanger Estate Bed & Breakfast getaway in Rochester, NY.
The Ellwanger Estate B&B knows how to celebrate romance! We are the proud recipients of the I Love Inns and American Historic Inns “Top 10 Most Romantic Inns of North America” award, and featured in Travel and Leisure, Rochester Magazine, INNS Magazine, and Design Sponge: Rochester, NY city guide.
With ANY February stay, the mansion will be decked out in red roses galore, with half a dozen in your guest room, and a heart shaped chocolate cake for your 4th course during your gourmet breakfast.
Here’s a thought to share by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:
I love you not only for what you are,
but for what I am when I am with you.
I love you not only for what you have made of yourself,
but for what you are making of me.
I love you for the part of me that you bring out.
Happy Valentine’s Day!